»

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Thailand Buddha Tree

Thailand Buddha Tree is one of my favourite paintings I've completed. It was conceived based on a photograph my brother had taken while visiting Thailand. Thieves had tried to make off with a huuuuuge Buddha stone carving. They later abandoned the iconic sculpture, as they simply couldn't carry it any further. Abandoned, and nearly forgotten, over time the jungle began to grow around Buddha, nearly consuming it.

I find it hard to believe that I was in the middle of painting this piece exactly five years ago. I was nine months pregnant with my second child, and just desperate to finish the piece before her imminent arrival. I don't know what it is about pregnancy, but it just makes my creativity skyrocket.

I was able to finish the canvas before Rowan arrived February 11, 2004. I wonder if this piece is so special to me because of the memories it carries with it.

Happy New Year!

0 comments: