»

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Good Bye Dreadlocks!!



Last night, after much thought and consideration, I bid adieu to my dreadlocked hair, and began snipping them off with scissors, one by one.





My kids stood in the bathroom doorway, wide-eyed, watching my dramatic cutting. I kind of felt like Britney Spears shaving her head with the paparazzi watching.





But it is alright- I AM NOT BALD!!!





I managed to salvage a short hair cut, which I lovingly and very jokingly refer to as my 'lesbian hair'





The dreadlocks served their purpose during their time.





As many of you know, I was unexpectedly sexually assaulted at my workplace this past April. In a way, the dreadlocks helped me feel safer, keeping unwanted male attention at bay. Not that they were banging down my door, or anything. It just helped me to feel safer.





Needless to say, I feel healed, and whole, and wanted to feel the wind blow my hair again, to let my daughters run their little fingers through my loose hair again. They were very happy to see what they referred to as my 'snake hair' leave.

Oh, and the strangest observation: a bunch of cut off dreadlocks in a garbage bag has an uncannily similarity to a bag of dead mice. I know, nice of me to share.

Good bye dreadlocks, I don't expect to ever wear you again :)

1 comments:

LadyTulip said...

~~ You must feel like a million dollars!! ~~

Good that you're coming out of the pain from last Spring. I too, was a victim of assualt, and I know what you're going thru.

Here's to New Beginnings!!

L.